Louisiana Fire Marshal’s Office Announced that One Woman Escaped and Another Died in April 18 Camper Fire in DeRidder

By Calcasieu Staff
Published April 19, 2023

Share This:

Louisiana Fire Marshal’s Office Announced that One Woman Escaped and Another Died in April 18 Camper Fire in DeRidder

Beauregard Parish, Louisiana – The Louisiana Fire Marshal’s Office has announced that one woman escaped and another died in an April 18 camper fire in DeRidder.

On April 19, 2023, the Louisiana State Fire Marshal’s Office (LASFM) released updated information about an April 18 caper fire in Beauregard Parish. LASFM deputies are continuing their investigation into a camper fire in DeRidder that claimed the life of a female resident.

According to LASFM, Beauregard Parish Fire District #2 responded to a report of a camper fire in the 6300 block of Highway 171 in DeRidder, Louisiana, shortly after 4 p.m. on Tuesday, April 18. When firefighters arrived, they discovered that one woman had escaped, but a second was still trapped inside. Tragically, the victim was later discovered in the camper’s bedroom area.

While the official identification and cause of death await an autopsy by the Beauregard Parish Coroner’s Office, the victim is thought to be the camper’s 69-year-old owner.

Deputies have concluded that the fire started in the bedroom area where the victim was found. Deputies have not discovered an exact reason since they are unable to rule out potential electrical faults highlighted by the survivor or risky smoking practices as contributing factors.

LASFM indicated that there were no operational smoke alarms in the camper. The LASFM wants to remind all Louisiana citizens that smoke alarms can mean the difference between life and death in a fire, regardless of the type of residence. Operations Save-A-Life can assist you in obtaining smoke alarms for your home. Visit our website at lasfm.org to learn more about Operation Save-A-Life or register for a free smoke alarm, or call your local fire department to request a free smoke alarm installation.

The LASFM encourages people to avoid using appliances or portions of their home that have concerning electrical activity until a licensed electrician can inspect and remedy any problems that are discovered. Additionally, avoid using extension cords for lengthy periods of time and be aware of the wattage limitations of those cords and power strips to avoid overloading them, which can lead to overheating and a fire hazard.

Furthermore, when it comes to safe smoking practices, the LASFM always recommends smoking outside and ensuring that all smoking materials are completely extinguished and disposed of in appropriate containers. Also, keep smoking materials, particularly spark-producing items such as lighters, out of the reach of children.