Louisiana Department of Wildlife and Fisheries Offers Clarification on New License Requirement for Roadside Crabbing

Share This:[Sassy_Social_Share]

Published June 07, 2022

Louisiana Department of Wildlife and Fisheries Offers Clarification on New License Requirement for Roadside Crabbing

The Louisiana Department of Wildlife and Fisheries (LDWF) reported a high volume of inquiries about the new license requirement for roadside crabbing, and has responded by providing more information about the changes.

Prior to June 1, there were no license requirements for individuals to crab from the side of the road with either set nets or strings.

Here’s why the Louisiana Department of Wildlife and Fisheries said the change was made.

Without a license requirement, the Office of Fisheries had difficulty determining how many people were participating in this fishery and the impact of the harvest on the crab population. To that end, the department has mandated that the roadside crabbing community obtain a Hook and Line or Saltwater Fishing License.

Individuals fishing without a mechanical reel or crabbing with a string or set net must purchase a Hook and Line license for $5. The Saltwater Fishing License, or any combination license that includes the Saltwater Fishing privilege, also includes roadside crabbing. (A Hook and Line License is not required if an individual purchases a Saltwater Fishing License. Individuals must first obtain a Freshwater Fishing License before obtaining a Saltwater Fishing License.)

A Saltwater Fishing License includes the right to use up to ten recreational crab traps. Remember to label or tag your crab trap with your LDWF license number. Crabbing from an LDWF-managed property, such as a Wildlife Management Area, Refuge, or Conservation Area, requires the purchase of a WMA Access Permit as well as a free self-clearing permit.

All crabbers are still permitted to keep up to 12 dozen crabs per day.

The Louisiana Department of Wildlife Fisheries hopes that this information helps to clear up any confusion. LDWF said that the information they gather from these fishermen and their catch will help them better assess the blue crab stock.

Here are more combinations provided by LDWF:

To go “string and net” crabbing, you either need:
  • Hook and Line License or
  • Saltwater License (which also requires the purchase of a Freshwater License) or
  • Sportsman’s Paradise License or
  • Lifetime License or
  • Senior License
To go crabbing on a WMA, you need:
  • One of the license options listed above AND
  • Self-Clearing Permit AND
  • WMA Permit (Not required if you already have a Sportsman’s Paradise License, Lifetime License or a Senior License)
  • A reminder that WMAs, refuges, and conservation areas have may have specific crab trap restrictions, check regulations here.

Follow this link for more information – Louisiana Fishing License Changes Coming in 2022 Including License Now Needed for all Crabbing