House Fire in Louisiana Suspected to Have Been Caused by Improper Electrical Wiring Claims Life of One in Singer

By Orion Blake
Published September 08, 2023

Share This:

Beauregard Parish, Louisiana – A House fire in Louisiana suspected to have been caused by improper electrical wiring claims the life of one in Singer.

Deputies from the Louisiana State Fire Marshal’s Office (SFM) are still investigating a fatal house fire incident in Singer, which resulted in the death of a male occupant.

On Tuesday, September 5, at approximately 5 in the morning, the Singer Fire Department was alerted about a house fire on Frank Burgess Road. Upon reaching the site, the firefighters were informed that a neighbor had tried but failed to save a person living in that house. Regrettably, the firefighters discovered a man’s lifeless body later on in the living room of the home.

Though final confirmation of identity and determination of the cause of death is awaiting approval from the Coroner’s Office, it is assumed that the deceased is the 66-year-old homeowner.

Having evaluated the site, the deputies concluded that the fire originated from the living room portion of the house. Currently, SFM indicated that deputies can’t rule out the likelihood that improper electrical wiring could have contributed to starting this fire.

In terms of electrical safety, the SFM suggests not using any appliances or parts of a home where there are potential electrical issues until a licensed electrician can inspect and address any problems found. Moreover, refrain from using extension cords as ongoing substitutes for properly wired circuits.

SFM also indicated that it’s important to note that the house did not have any functioning smoke detectors. The State Fire Marshal (SFM) strives to emphasize to all people living in Louisiana the critical role smoke detectors play in a fire emergency, regardless of the type of dwelling. If you require help in acquiring smoke detectors for your home, Operation Save-A-Life is available to assist. If you wish to know more about this initiative, or if you want to apply for a free smoke detector, kindly visit our website or reach out to your local fire department to avail a free installation of the device.